Thursday, December 4, 2008

Favorite Christmas Movies List!

Ah, 'tis the season! The season for daily "one day" sales, increased calorie intake, depleted accounts, overdone holiday lights (see KFC's "Festive Fanatics" contest from '07 - looks like an "Original Holiday Traditions" contest this year), and, last but by no means least, countless Christmas commercials that preach the "season of giving."

For example - many of us are broke and trying to save money, so to combat us penny pinchers, an unnamed jewelery company puts out a radio spot telling a heart wrenching story of a woman who gave a homeless man a coat years ago. Now, present day, she receives a package with the coat and a note that says to look in the side pocket. What does she find? (dramatic pause) A diamond watch. Riiiggggghhhht. I'm as much for karma as the next person, but you can bet your bottom I'm still not buying anyobdy a diamond watch this Christmas. Nice try though guys. Not really.

But alas, I'm no Ebenezer Scrooge (although he makes my movie list). These frivoulous Christmas promotions and commercials help me to appreciate the timeless traditions that I grew up with and will uphold for many Decembers to come...

Packing the family into the car on a cold evening in early December (it has to be cold and dark, otherwise you lose the effect) to stroll the Christmas tree lots, where the smell of wood burning in the barrels and pine needles will always make you feel six again, to pick out that perfect and most conveniently priced :) tree. Don't even get me started on decorating it...the star goes on last, people!

Putting on the Charlie Brown Christmas CD while spending time with loved ones making banana pudding, pigs in a blanket and other delightful and delicious treats that are high in fat but higher in satisfaction.

Then, once the tree is glowing, the snacks steaming and the children quiet (wishful thinking), it's time for one of the most revered and time honored Christmas traditions - watching the Christmas movie.

Following is a list of my Top 10 Favorite Christmas Movies of All Time. Movies that really capture the feeling of the season for me and never get old year after year. On the contrary, the older I get the more I appreciate them!

Top 10 Favorite Christmas Movies of All Time
1. A Christmas Story
2. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (can't believe how this one barely squeaks into many lists - it's arguably #1)
3. Home Alone
4. Scrooged
5. The Muppet Christmas Carol
6. It's A Wonderful Life
7. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
8. The Santa Clause
9. A Christmas Carol (Alastair Sim - 1951)
10. A Charlie Brown Christmas (*Though not technically a "feature film," I wouldn't feel right not including this on my list)

I've seen many "best Christmas movie lists" (Moviefone's), but I stand by mine! Happy Holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment